Saturday, January 30, 2010

Life through a new lens

A short piece a wrote for the University of Calgary's Alumni magazine has just been published. In it, I talk a little about my walls project and my own origins as a writer. You can find it here.

I just finished a first draft of half of my walls book - I will need to travel again to write the second half. I am looking forward to putting it aside for a month or so, working on magazine pieces, and planning for my next trip. I'm also doing some presentations for classes here at the University. I will be talking about the Iranian traditional wrestling for a Kinesiology class, and about the Iranian love of poetry for a English lit students. I already spoke to a class of Environmental Design students about the social impacts of walls. These are busy times.

3 comments:

Will Hoff said...

Just got this article emailed to me from my Dad ... super inspiring! I've been volunteering around southern Africa for 5 months now and have been writing a pretty informal blog since I arrived ... it has definitely helped me find a new love for writing but from a completely new angle and with an entirely new style from what I have used before. "Life through a new lense" opened my eyes to see a possible career path or at least a new media to share my travels through ... right on

Marcello Di Cintio said...

Thanks for the message, Will. I trust you are having an incredible and inspiring time in South Africa.

Garth said...

What a great quote. I'm feeling some algae around my edges. Just spent 15 minutes on the Mount of Olives via Google map...